Will you welcome children to your wedding, or would your rather it be an adult affair? One thing is for sure, if you do invite children, their presence will be felt.
- Keep them occupied…on a warm sunny day this may not be a challenge, running seemed to be quite enough at this wedding. Books or a new toy may be useful as a fall back.
- If you do provide bribes in the form of sweets, make sure they are not of the messy type (think of your dress!) and keep all the little ones the same to prevent squabbles.
- Don’t expect too much – be reasonable, don’t have critical points in your ceremony dependent on the actions of a 3 year old. If you have very young bridesmaids/ page boys then it may be a bonus if they manage to accompany you down the aisle, but be prepared to accept that they may join their parents instead. Or you could make a point of including a parent in the precession in the first place.
- Supply a goodie bag for the speeches – one thing is for sure, sitting still is not easy for little ones. However witty and amusing your speakers are, it is likely to be lost on them. At our wedding I provided a small goodie bag with a colouring book, crayons, soft toy and a few sweets. The same was also provided as a joke for one of the more troublesome male guests (sadly he was still able to heckle)!
- They WILL steal the show! Children will speak up at the wrong time (usually on “does anyone here object”). They will also crash through photographs (see below) but also generate some charming images. You can almost guarantee they will start the dancing for you to!
Is there something you would like to see featured in future wedding blogs? If so, please Contact me with the details.
View wedding details on the Weddings Page.
See more wedding images in the Wedding Gallery.